I absolutely loved this book! Ms. Joni is a Phony by Dan Gutman, is the 7th book in the My Weirdest School series. One thing is for sure... this is one weird school.
The narrator, A.J., is a quirky, overexaggerating, sarcastic, mysterious 3rd-grader. I find this little guy to be hilarious. Some of his comments throughout the book had me laughing out loud. I grew up with an older brother and I was always around boys. I have always been referred to as more of a tom-boy, especially throughout my elementary schooling experiences. I was able to relate to many of the comments made by A.J., having more of a "boy-mindset."
It is picture day at Ella Mentry School (clever name), and A.J., like any 3rd-grade boy, is not thrilled to have his picture taken. All of the girls are excited to be all dolled up for such an event, "the picture that we will keep forever." The moms are the most excited, taking their boys shopping for suits and ties, crying when they look "so grown up." Of course, picture day is a hot mess, as it always is. The crazy professional photographer, Ms. Joni, does not help the process either. I would love to share more details, but I don't want to spoil the crazy turn of events throughout the eventful day.
The author does a great job of making it feel like the 3rd grader is actually telling the story. The quirky, sarcastic comments through the book took me back to when it was acceptable to make comments like these (I still do, just in my head). This book was such an easy read, I loved it! I can't wait to read more books from the My Weirdest School series.

The cover page of the book alone makes it seem like such a fun book! I love that it is told from a third graders point of view. I'm sure so many students are able to relate to his experiences he shares throughout the book. I always hated getting all dressed up for picture day in elementary. I remember my mom picking out my outfit and having to do my hair...it felt like it took forever! Anyways, I'm excited to add this book and the others in the series to my "want to read" collection.
ReplyDeleteWe have several of these books at our house. They are a great bridge from picture books to chapter books for early readers. Great to hear you enjoyed it!
ReplyDelete