A book suggestion from my mom led me to find myself looking at the books written by Sharon M. Draper. Draper is a resident of Cincinnati, the greatest place on earth and my hometown. A book titled Sassy - Little Sister is NOT My Name caught my eye. I was instantly intrigued by the word "sassy," a word that should be my middle name. So I thought to myself, let's give this a try.
Draper created this series of Sassy books to tell the ups and downs of a 4th-grade girl. Sassy, being the youngest of 3, goes through many struggles at home and at school. She shares with us on what it can feel like being the youngest sibling. "I'm the one who has to settles for the last piece of the chicken on the plate, usually the wing. I'm the one who's stuck with the last slice of bread in the loaf. I'm the one who gets the last choice of jelly beans in the candy bowl," states Sassy. Many of us can relate to that feeling, or a similar one when it comes to being the youngest child in the family. This brought me to wonder about this can impact a child's behavior, especially in the classroom. The tone Draper uses throughout the book takes you back to your younger days, allowing you to connect Sassy's experiences to your own.
This book takes you through Sassy's home life, her friends, and her schooling experiences. Sassy loves sparkles and bright beautiful colors (much like her personality), which is why she alway carries around her Sparkle Sack made of satin, silk, and velvet. Sassy says that her Sparkle Sack carries about 2 million items, preparing her for almost every situation. Sassy states, "Every girl in my class wishes she could have one just like it, but my sack is one of a kind." This sack was made for Sassy by her grandmother, who has just recently made an appearance in the book. Sassy's grandmother is a professional story teller who is heading to Sassy's Elementary School as the visiting storyteller. I am intrigued to see what happens when her grandmother comes to school.
So far, it seems as though Draper is sharing some of her experiences about growing up through Sassy. Sassy is a dreamer and a reader, able to solve her problems with items found in her Sparkle Sack. Sassy is annoyed to no end that her family consistently calls her "little sister." Will Sassy find a way to get her family to call her by her name? What adventure will happen next when her grandma visits her school? I guess I will just have to keep reading to find out!

Oh my, I HAVE to get this book for my daughters. Great voice in your post. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this book!
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of this book or of this author, but I am curious and I might have to check some of her books out. I am the youngest in my family, so by what you wrote in your blog I can relate. I think as an author it is interesting that she might be showing how it was growing up through Sassy. This book could teach a girl a lesson just through Draper's experiences. What do you think will happen? I personally think that Sassy will find a way to get her family to call her by her name.
ReplyDeleteThis book seems like such a fun read! I've never heard of this author, but the title of this book makes me feel like she is a fun, engaging writer. I am also the youngest sibling in my family and my parents and sister call me "little sister" all the time, so I can relate to how annoying that is at times. It was great that you mentioned how siblings and age differences definitely influence a child's behavior and how important it is to keep that in mind when teaching. Your review was very insightful and has made me want to read this book!
ReplyDelete