Tuesday, November 21, 2017

How to Steal a Dog

I can guarantee that there are many of us who have wanted to steal a dog at one point in our lives. I have absolutely wanted to steal a dog on many occasions. If you're a cat person, we can no longer be friends and you may disagree with everything in this blog. I often find myself taking my roommate's dog and keeping her in my room because I want to keep her for myself. Dogs are animals that just seem to make everything better. They are so fun and lovable. This is why they bring dogs in for pet therapy, not cats! Anywho, this post is not about debating whether dogs or cats are better (dogs all the way). This post is about a book titled How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'Connor.

I have just started this book and I am already hooked. I want to share with you the introduction to help you get a feel.
"The day I decided to steal a dog was the same day my best friend, Luanne Godfrey, found out I lived in a car. I had told my Mama she would find out sooner or later seeing as how she's so nosey and all. But Mama had rolled her eyes and said, "Just get on up there to the bus stop, Georgina, quit your whining." So that's what I did. I stood up there at the bus stop pretending like I still lived in Apartment 3B. I pretended like I didn't have mustard on my shirt from the day before. I pretended like I hadn't washed my hair in the bathroom of the Texaco gas station that very morning. And I pretended like my daddy hadn't just waltzed off and left us with nothing but three rolls of quaters and a mayonnaise jar full of wadded-up dollar bills. I guess I'm pretty good at pretending."
Georgina is in charge of watching her little brother Toby while her mom is busy working two jobs. Georgina wants nothing more than help out her mom and help change their situation. So naturally, when she spots a missing dog poster with a reward for $500 Georgina comes up with a plan. I am so excited to keep reading and find out what this little girl is up to.

As you can tell, Georgina is going through some hard times. Could you imagine having to go to school after sleeping in a car? This also makes me think about some of the students I teach. Many of those students are in poverty and could be going through a similar situation. This would be a great book to keep in your classroom. Students who are going through some hard times may be able to relate to this story. Hopefully, they don't try to steal a dog.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment