Many of us have heard the phrase, "Don't judge a book by its cover." Well... that is exactly what I did here. In all honesty, I saw the owl on the front cover and I found it intriguing, causing me to check this book out from the library. I also was intrigued by the fact that this book is now a movie, I have never heard of it, but I certainly want to check it out! I am only a few chapters into this book, but I love it already.
Owls are very majestic and mystical creatures, in my opinion. They seem to sort of go under the radar, this may also be due to the fact that many owl species are endangered. The Capture by Kathryn Lasky is a story about a family of barn owls, focused mainly from the point of view of a young owl named Soren. The family lives in the magical forest of Tyto, home to many barn owls. Life has been good here for the owls, but something is beginning to change. There are owls going missing and eggs being snatched from their nests. I wonder who is taking the owls?
This book begins when Soren is only 2 weeks old, he is witnessing his baby sister, Eglantine, hatch from her egg. Amazed by the process, Soren struggles to believe that he did this same exact thing only 2 weeks ago and now he is starting his flying training. The first step towards flight is called branching, "The young owlets would begin by hopping from branch to branch and flapping their wings." Soren's father, Glaux, "was the most ancient order of owls from which all other owls descended." Glaux fills his children's heads full of legends and stories from the kingdom of Ga'hoole. Will these legends and stories cause his children to get into mischief?
Not only does this book provide you with some background knowledge about owls, but it also provides you with mystery and suspense. If you're an animal lover and a thrill lover, this may be the book for you. I can't wait to keep reading and find out what evil is lurking in the forest of Tyto.

The cover of this book is so interesting and different. Definitely an attention grabber! I'm a huge animal lover and I honestly don't know much about owls. I think it would be fun to have students learn about owls, maybe do a couple of different activities and use this book as a read aloud.
ReplyDeleteOwls are pretty cool creatures. When we went to Branson, Missouri this summer, we went to an outside zoo. We got to see a Eurasian Eagle Owl. I had never seen or heard of one and was impressed. I'll have to put this in my student book list for the animal lovers.
ReplyDelete