Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Animorphs - The Invasion

Some of my favorite book series include The Hunger Games and the Divergent series. After reading the back cover of Animorphs, I just had to try it. "We can't tell you who we are. Or where we live. It's too risky, and we've got to be careful. But everyone is in danger. Yeah. Even you." The author, K. A. Applegate, catches the reader's attention with this introduction. It makes you wonder what could possibly be happening? This is what lead me into choosing Animorphs - The Invasion by K. A. Applegate, the first book in the Animorphs series.

After reading the first page of this book, I was hooked.

"My name is Jake. That's my first name, obviously, I can't tell you my last name. It would be too dangerous. The Controllers are everywhere. Everywhere. And if they knew my full name, they could find me and my friends, and then . . . well, let's just say I don't want them to find me. What they do to people who resist them is too horrible to think about. I won't even tell you where I live. You'll just have to trust me that it is even a real place, a real town. It may even be your town."

I was so intrigued to see what was happening in this book after reading that. Jake and his friends were walking home from the mall one day, they cut through the dangerous short-cut way when all of the sudden a bright flash of light appears in the sky. I know exactly what you're all thinking, a UFO. (Science fiction books are a little over the top sometimes.) Guess what it was... a spaceship. Then out walks an alien, or so they thought. This creature is not your ordinary slimy green alien, but a creature that looked as though someone had fused a person and a deer together. As this creature slid out of his spaceship, the kids realized he was dying. With his last breaths, the creature, known as an Andalite, shares with the children information that these creatures called Yeerks were trying to take over the world. Yeerks are able to take over human bodies and control their thoughts and actions. Not only did the Andalite share important information, but he gave the children a superpower to morph into any animal they touch. This will help them defeat the Yeerks.

After typing some of this out, the book seems kind of cheesy. However, the author does an amazing job of dragging you in as a reader. I feel as though if I would have read this book when I was younger I would have loved it. Now that I am all old and crusty, my imagination is not as good as it used to be. This book is an action-packed science fiction, with a little hint of a romance of course, Jake has a crush on his friend Cassie. I still am intrigued to see what happens to these young kids as they try and save the world from the evil Yeerks. Do you think they can do it? I will keep reading and let you know!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge science fiction reader or movie watcher, but I have recently seen the movie Avatar. The cover of this book reminded me so much of the creatures from Avatar. Then, as I read your post, it made me think of the movie even more. The main character in the movie is also named Jake. So crazy! I wonder if it was published around the same time as the movie? Anyways, this book seems intriguing and I definitely want to look more into the story to find out how it all plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post, Nicole! I'm intrigued by your "slimy green alien" description. This may be a good book to write about in your next post when you "read like a writer!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old and crusty---hahaha! You're just a baby in the grand scheme of life! This sounds like another book to file away in the "boys might be interested" department.

    ReplyDelete