Non-fiction books can often be portrayed as boring. However, this book does an excellent job of keeping the topic interesting. This book is about a brother and sister trying to figure out where the sun goes at night. The book provides all of these different crazy ideas that children may have about where the sun goes. To give you an idea, an excerpt from the text is below.
"I thinkWe may laugh at this crazy idea, but many of our students might actually think this way! The book goes through several different examples, provided with illustrations for the children to look at to further understand. Towards the end of the book, the sister state that in all of the books she has read it says the Earth rotates. Then she explains what all of the books say to her brother and he says, "Can it be true, sister, can it be true?"
That maybe, while it is night
Here on earth,
It is a glorious day in
The ocean's darkest depths.
And the mermaids come dancing out
Of their undersea caves
To frolic with the sharks.
We have seen it ourselves
When we went to Mumbai last summer.
Remember
How the sun lets go of the sky
Each evening at dusk
And slides soundlessly into the sea?
That’s where I think the sun goes at night
To flood the underwater
With golden light.
I’m clever, aren’t I sister?"
After the book ends, it provides you with a "find out more" section, where it explains in more scientific terms of the Earth's rotation and why the sun seems to disappear. The book then provides you with an experiment! I know... AWESOME! This book would be a fantastic way to engage your students in a topic that could potentially be pretty boring. I also would like to add that this is a very awesome non-fiction book. The children's crazy ideas and illustrations are so much more intriguing than your typical textbook. I absolutely love this book and this website!

I love that you found free children's books online! Surprisingly, I don't have any children's book at my house, so I have been struggling to find any to read. My schedule is crazy busy, so this website will be so helpful for me as well. It's awesome that you found an engaging and interesting book to read aloud to students. I can't wait to check out all the books on this website!
ReplyDeleteDidn't know about that little gem! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete