Piglet Gets a New Job by Joe Corcoran is a modern fairy tale chapter book for children in grades 4 through 6. Yet, another book found off https://freekidsbooks.org/piglet-gets-a-new-job/! Thank goodness for the internet and this amazing website.This little piglet was born into the circus and had been performing her whole life. Her job was to be launched out of the cannon and fly through the air only to be caught by the net, a crowd favorite. When one day, the ringleader had prepared the cannon and the crowd was anticipating the launch. All of the sudden the ringleader's face was covered with black smoke and he could hear the crowd roaring with laughter. When the smoke cleared, the ringleader saw the piglet half in and half out of the cannon. She was stuck, squealing and flailing her legs all over in the attempt to escape. After the show had finished, the ringleader had to tell the piglet that she had gotten too fat and she was going to have to leave the circus. The circus packed up and left the piglet behind, she watched the only family she had ever known drive away.
The ringleader had told the piglet to avoid humans and stay to herself, the humans were always up to no good. The piglet takes off and experiences many new things, adventures she never thought were possible. In fear of the humans, the little piglet practices new tricks to try and get back in the circus, although she was not very good. The piglet continues on with her adventures until she is able to find her new job and her new family.
This book shows an important message to young students that may feel lost and alone. Some students might have a hard time opening up when going through troubling family situations. This book would be good for these children to read, allowing them to see that we must never give up and that we can always find someone to be there for us. These are important topics for children to learn about and reading about them might be easier than talking through them. Another great book to add to your list!
I love the messages that can be taken away from this story. It's so important for students to keep trying no matter how hard it may be. A little effort goes a long way and can make a world of difference! Obviously, this isn't a true story, but the circus is horrible to animals in general. I hate that some animals spend their live performing for humans. If I read this to my students, I would be sure to inform that we must treat animals with more kindness because they have feelings too.
ReplyDeleteAs I started reading, the thought of a piglet being shot out of a cannon in the circus was hilarious to me for some reason. I thought this was going to be a funny story. Then it got sad all of a sudden, and now I feel bad for laughing. It does seem like there are some really good messages in this story, though.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'm definitely going to have to check out this website!